Fixed Navigation Bar

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

What Writers Read


Pat Conroy, author of The Great Santini, The Prince of Tides and most recently South of Broad has just published My Reading Life. A collection of 15 essays, Conroy’s latest work chronicles his youthful reading from Thomas Wolfe’s Look Homeward Angel to Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind. ("Pat Conroy's 'My Reading Life' Opens a Door to Literature," USA Today, Nov. 29, 2010)

“Before I'd ever asked a girl out,” Conroy writes. “I had fallen in love with Anna Karenina, taken Isabel Archer (Portrait of a Lady) to high tea at the Grand Hotel in Rome, delivered passionate speeches to Juliet beneath her balcony, abandoned Dido (The Aeneid) in Carthage, made love to Lara in Zhivago's Russia, walked beside Lady Brett Ashley (The Sun Also Rises) in Paris, danced with Madame Bovary — I could form a sweet-smelling corps de ballet composed of the women I have loved in books."

As USA Today reporter Bob Minzesheimer writes, “Call this fiction you can use.”

To reserve a copy of My Reading Life in print, audio or large print format, visit the library’s catalog.

No comments: