Fixed Navigation Bar

Friday, February 13, 2009

Lincoln’s Bicentennial

February 12 was the 200th anniversary of our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln. Here is how he described his early years five months before his nomination as president:

"I was born Feb. 12, 1809, in Hardin County, Kentucky. My parents were both born in Virginia, of undistinguished families ― second families, perhaps I should say. My mother, who died in my tenth year, was of a family of the name of Hanks ... My father ... removed from Kentucky to ... Indiana, in my eighth year... It was a wild region, with many bears and other wild animals still in the woods. There I grew up... Of course when I came of age I did not know much. Still somehow, I could read, write, and cipher ... but that was all."

As many know, he is now considered one of our nation’s greatest presidents for steering the young nation through the Civil War.

For some recent books on Lincoln and his legacy, browse:

Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer by Adam Gopnik

Lincoln President-Elect: Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter 1860-1861 by Harold Holzer

The Lincolns: Portrait of a Marriage by Daniel Epstein

President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman by William Lee Miller


Temporary Martha Washington Library Opens
The temporary Martha Washington Library opened to the public on Feb. 9. The library branch is now located at 6328 Richmond Highway, Unit F, Alexandria, VA 22306.

The temporary location will serve the community while Martha Washington Library undergoes renovation, expected to take a minimum of 18 months. Martha Washington Library staff, including Branch Manager Barbara Rice, invite you to join them at their grand opening on Saturday, Feb. 21. Refreshments and giveaways will be available. For directions to the temporary library, call 703-768-6700 or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library.

No comments: