Fixed Navigation Bar

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

“The Raven”

Today marks the anniversary of the publication of Edgar Allan Poe's most famous poem. "The Raven" was published anonymously in New York’s Evening Mirror on January 29, 1845, and Poe was paid only $15 for such famous lines as “Once upon a midnight dreary …” and “Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore.’” The poem was so popular it was reprinted 16 times that same year in various periodicals and books.

Poe, who grew up in Richmond and attended the University of Virginia, is an American literary icon. He mastered the short story, detective fiction, science fiction, lyric poetry and the horror story. Some call him “America’s Shakespeare.”

For more on Poe and his works, you can browse these books:

Edgar Allan Poe, A-Z: The Essential Reference to his Life and Work
by Dawn Sova

Edgar Allan Poe Revisited by Scott Peeples

Edgar A. Poe: Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance by Kenneth Silverman

Tales of Terror by Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar Allan Poe Reader by Edgar Allan Poe

Do you have a favorite Poe story or poem? Let us know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Raven is my favorite poem by Poe. When I was a child, my father used to read it to me very dramatically. :-)

Anonymous said...

My favorite was "Annabel Lee." I once read it to my father as his birthday gift.