A recent survey in Great Britain revealed that 80 percent of its residents re-read a book and the Harry Potter series tops the list for novels that are picked up again. ("Harry Potter Most Re-Read Book in Britain: Survey, AP, Nov. 9, 2007)
Other favorite books to sample one more time include J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings and Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code. The survey also found that 43 percent of the respondents knew after reading the first chapter that they would finish a book and one third knew after the first 50 pages. Four percent knew after the first page.
Here’s the list of the most re-read books:
1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
2. The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
4. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
6. 1984 by George Orwell
7. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
8. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
10. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Have you got a favorite book you love to read again and again? How many pages in a book do you read before you know you’ll get to the end? Let us know.