Fixed Navigation Bar

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Books You'd Like To See

Last week FCPLEASE asked what subjects you wished someone would write a book about, and what topics you could do without. Here’s what you said:

I'd love a book written about the shared characteristics, traits and experiences of only children. -- N. McDermott

I wish travel books were written by someone who had lived like a local for a short time. Anyone can travel like a tourist; I like to experience a place as a local would. -- D. Noblet

I've never seen a book on how to start and run a successful modeling agency. -- C. Richardson

It would be fun to see a book about the life and adventures of a book. I have thought about how many hands a book passes through in its life and how many places it goes. -- P. Riedinger

A history of the Middle East, never taught in Fairfax County Public Schools. -- P. Hartmann

Honeymoon With My Brother was excellent. I would read more of that type of story. It’s about a fellow who gets left at the altar by his fiancé. Then the two brothers travel the world for two years. I enjoyed it immensely. -- L. McLeod

I find that there is very little that I am interested in that has not been written about; I just need to make the effort to find it. -- J. Dickert

I think I got this from FCPLEASE; I also think it answers the survey. According to Toni Morrison, "If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." -- J. Bauza

Being from New Orleans, I’d like to see a book in the style of James Michener tracing a group of families through the trials and tribulations from the city's founding until now. What I don’t want are any more mysteries involving the FBI profiling lab where they develop the complete life story and description based on a few clues. -- A. Labas

I remember subject areas in nonfiction that I just couldn't find books about, including biographies of notable persons. -- M. Leber

A book for prospective newcomers coming to the area. The book should include information about what services are provided by your local area. Things you need to know about moving from another state. -- D.V. Bibbs

Fairfax has such a rich history and the road/area names are associated with interesting historical references. The history of names of streets/places/areas would be interesting. -- Kelseygo

Other ideas? Leave a comment.

FREE EVENTS
January 18, 10:30 a.m. -- Dr. Janette Muir explores separating truth from “spin” in the news. For ages 15 and older at the Sherwood Regional Library.

January 18, 7 p.m. -- Professor Wallace Hutcheon, author of Robert Fulton: Pioneer of Undersea Warfare, discusses subs and steamboats with adults at the Patrick Henry Library.

January 19, 7 p.m. -- An Inova cardiologist discusses heart health tips, heart disease and exercise with adults at the Reston Regional Library. Sign up by calling 703-204-3366.

Find free activities for kids in our online calendar.

QUOTAGE
“A library is thought in cold storage.” -- Herbert Samuel

© 2006 Fairfax County Public Library

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many of the book requests do exist, some within your library system. I did like the first idea for the book on only children. I assume it is a favored thesis topic in the field of child psychology. Certain elements for historical development in the Middle East are incorporated in the World History courses taught 9th and 10th grade in Fairfax County Public Schools.

-- J. Dickert

Anonymous said...

WE RECENTLY RETURNED FROM BRAZIL; I WAS UNABLE TO FIND ANY BOOKS ABOUT FLORA & FAUNA SPECIFIC TO AREAS OF SOUTH AMERICA (OTHER THAN THE RAINFOREST ECOLOGY TYPE BOOKS. . .) BUT THERE WERE LOTS OF BIRDS & LIZARDS & SMALL MAMMALS COMMON TO MORE POPULATED AREAS OF BRAZIL. . . I ENDED UP USING UNIVERSAL ANIMALS/PLANTS BOOKS, BUT THEY DIDN'T HAVE MUCH OF THE SPECIFIC INFORMATION I WAS INTERESTED IN.

Anonymous said...

"I loved the book ideas. The one about the life of a book would be very interesting. We're going to Ohio to see family -- what I call 'the other f-word,' the title of MY first book if I ever write one."

Anonymous said...

William Dalrymple's books on New Delhi are great, and reflect the extensive time he's spent in-country. As an 18-month resident here myself, I can attest to their accuracy. There's another I like, "Juggling with Tigers" by Neil Kelley, a Brit ad exec who lived in India some time, but it's pretty dated - 1992. But some things are forever ...

H.M.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having this survey. What a great idea!

I just flew cross-country from Dulles to San Diego, as I do several times a year to visit a daughter. I would love to see a guidebook on crossing the country from the air. There are so many interesting formations as one crosses desert areas, mid-west, etc. Sometimes I think we're over the Mississippi, or is it the Missouri?

It would be a wonderful companion on a 4 -5 hour trip!

Thanks for asking.

-- B. Pugin