Fixed Navigation Bar

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

It's that time of year again. The time when teens, adults and seniors sweat over college admission essays, scholarship applications and financial aid forms, hoping to become part of America's 15 million college students. High school students and adults seeking a career change might consider pursuing a library science degree.

"People who work in libraries are delightful -- part detective, part teacher," says Chantilly Regional Library Manager Bonnie Worcester. Librarians "handle the intellectual treasures of our culture," adds Reston Regional Library Manager Nadia Taran. "The efforts of the best minds."

"What I like about my job is the opportunity to learn at least one new thing each day," says Branch Coordinator Elizabeth Waller. "It makes me a good party guest," she laughs.

"I decided I wanted to be a librarian in second grade because I liked to read," explains Denise Morgan, Lorton Library's manager. Centreville Regional Library Manager Pat White-Williams concurs. "It was just a natural progression for me that I would end up in a job where I can share my love of reading with others."

Tina Cunningham, who manages the Fairfax City Regional Library, calls her career "an adventure in multi-tasking" and "a never-ending treasure hunt." She adds, "In our information-saturated society, there's still a need for those who can sift through information and find the fact that answers the question."

Several staff seconded Debbie King, George Mason Regional Library's manager. "I have daily opportunities to make a difference in people's lives. Sometimes readers tell us that we've led them to the answer of monumental importance, and it's personally gratifying when they say, 'You made my day.'"

Becoming a librarian requires a master's degree. Here are some resources to help you get started with the planning process for any type of degree.

No comments: